Friday, April 26, 2013

I'm Back, Because Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

It's been almost a year since I took a break from my blog. I think it's time for me to come back.
Writing about raising teenagers is tricky. I have so many stories to share, but writing about teenagers in such a public way is much more difficult and more complicated than telling stories about when they were younger. I'm struggling with what I can share and where the limits are, both theirs and mine. For a while I just didn't want to share, but my muse has been hitting me over the head and I have to start writing again or I risk her leaving me.

My boys are now 16, almost 15 and almost 13. Soon we are officially an all-teenager house.

Evidence of the teenager infestation:
My youngest announced after dinner, "I think I'm going to listen to my favorite break-up song."

A favorite break-up song? Is he an expert in the genre? Really, what does he have to break up with, his outgrown shoes? Oh, he's had a girlfriend. But when she went from "friend since kindergarten" to "girlfriend," she stopped talking to him. So after a day or two of awkward silence, he said, "this is not going to work" and they broke up. Certainly not worthy of a ballad to memorialize the gut-wrenching end of a relationship.

Break-up songs, a voice subtly heading for a lower timber, a robust interest in food, and an intense desire for prescription sunglasses that allow him to see (and look cool) while playing baseball . . . all evidence of the youngest member of our gang joining the soup of male teenager hormones sloshing around our house.

Help me, I'm drowning in the soup! I am barely hanging on to my sanity, and I belch more than is prudent for a woman of my age, just to see one of my boys look up, smile, and say, "good one Mom."
Break-up songs on the playlist tonight.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I have totally enjoyed reading through your blog! I raised girls and now have a grandson who just turned 8 and who lives for baseball. I can already identify with so many topics in your blog, it cracks me up! I also have a blog and it's been over a year since I've written in mine. You are an absolutely talented writer, keep sharing, people like me love to know there is someone else out there experiencing the craziness and love of having boys in the house!