Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sign of the Times

I have much to catch my readers up on! We've had an eventful couple of months, which I will go into more detail on, but first, I want to share with you a story about one of the many ironies of being a mother of teenagers.

Both of my older boys recently shaved for the first time. The oldest, while he has very light hair, has been growing a bit of fuzz on his upper lip that, in certain lighting, is becoming visible. His brother had a few rebellious hairs growing out of his face that became visible when we could see his face better after a recent haircut.

At the same exact time these hairs, little squiggly signs of maturity, have made themselves visible in my house, I've lost my ability to see them.

Friends have warned me but I didn't quite believe it. I'm in my mid-forties, and right on schedule, suddenly I can't see the fine print. I have to hold my smart phone further away. Reading in bed at night is no longer the pleasure it should be. The menu at the dim romantic restaurant . . . seriously, how am I supposed to read this?? It's depressing. I need "readers" but I've resisted because I need some seriously cute ones that don't make me look old or dorky. I'm going to go for more of the young sexy librarian look but I don't know where to find glasses that will transform me into that. Surely not the local drugstore? Then there is the question of how to wear them. On top of my head? Around my neck?
These are in the dorky catagory.


I used to wear glasses and contacts before I had the miraculous lasik procedure done more than ten years ago. That was different. I wore glasses because I couldn't see. Now I need them because I'm old.

These look fun.
Reflecting on this situation, I realize there is a lesson in it for me. I am not supposed to worry about the little details, the little hairs, in my life right now. It's the big picture, the view from 10,000 feet, the perspective, that I should be thinking about. Who needs that little stuff?

OK I don't need the little stuff but it really does bother me that I had a hard time reading that menu. I'm going to restaurants with better lighting and bigger print on the menu from now on, or at least until I get some cool looking readers.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I had a friend, who is a few years older than me, give me a few of those card-size, lighted, magnifiers so I could keep them in my home, car and purse. I smiled and accepted, thinking when I might ever need these visual aids ( I've always had excellent vision). Well, at 43 they are slowly coming in handy. I use them occasionally and my husband (who is 8 years older but has always had the vision of a super-hero) is asking me for them all the time now. It's not fun, but I guess it's good we are not alone.