Monday, August 9, 2010

Call Me A Fruit!

Every once in a while I venture into the food blog arena. Cooking and being a part-time foodie are very useful endeavors when you are the mother of three hungry boys and a husband.

Tonight though, I cooked something just for my husband. The kids are at camp this week, and I wanted to make him something special to mark the first full day of our stay-cation without kids. Never mind that he had to work all day, and after dinner had to go back to the office. At least I know his tastebuds were happy.


We each had two servings.

I made a tomato tart tatin from Bon Appetit's August 2010 issue (I've been a subscriber for about 20 years). My husband loves fruit desserts, and my theory is "Why bother with dessert unless it has chocolate?" When we want dessert to share in a restaurant and he orders the dreaded apple tart (boring but he loves it), I can be heard muttering almost under my breath, "Not the fruit shit . . ." While I cook daily, I hardly ever make dessert, as my family loves ice cream and we have a killer bakery in town. And really, who needs the calories?

When I saw this recipe, I thought it would be perfect, a fruit dessert that is slightly demented enough for me to embrace. It was easy to make, made easier with my perfectly, proudly seasoned cast iron pan. The lowly terrible supermarket roma tomato is transformed into something really delicious and unusual, if not altogether healthy. Both my husband and I really liked this dessert. I bet my kids would like it too. I can't wait to make this for a dinner party. Anyone throwing one? I'll bring the dessert!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to be at a dinner party where Amber brought her tomato tart. It was pretty spectacular, which didn't surprise me. Amber is a fabulous cook.