Monday, March 29, 2010

Sick Day

My youngest stayed home from school today. He is sick. I will spare you the gory details. He saw the pediatrician, received a diagnosis (bronchitis), got the prescription. So he is sick, but not feeling particularly bad.

He has hardly ever stayed home from school for being sick. Not that I send him to school spreading germs everywhere, it's that he is rarely sick.

He thought today was a bonanza of freedom that he wasn't quite sure what to do with. He slept in, got to have chocolate ice cream before lunch while waiting for his prescription to be filled, and only had to compete with the dog and my email for attention.

He played Wii for a short time, then read a book for about an hour. I was thinking he might fall asleep but no such luck, why waste a day like today sleeping?? He went outside. I walked out a few minutes later to see what he was doing and found him skateboarding. I had to draw the line at that and tell him "no skateboarding when you are sick." Geesh, can you imagine if he fell and broke his arm and I had to go back to the doctor again the same day? And can you imagine the lecture I would get about having a kid with bronchitis who is home from school sick but out skateboarding around??

He got off the skateboard as directed and wandered around the yard. A little while later he came back in to announce, "You know, Mom, catching ants is a lot harder than you think it is."

Later, he decided to put his brother's suit jacket on and wear it around the house. It made his sweatpants look quite formal.

Still later, with him in another outfit altogether, we ran to the grocery store to get supplies for dinner. He whizzed around the store in his Heelys, talking to me incessantly about the new Cadillac something-something he just saw in the parking lot.

I think it was about then that I decided he was going to school tomorrow. This kid might have bronchitis but he is not sick enough to stay home, cuddle on the couch, listlessly watch TV, take naps, and drink herbal tea with honey. Nope. When the alarm goes off in the morning, he is up and out of here.

No comments: