Friday, March 19, 2010

Movie Night

Watching movies with boys ages thirteen, eleven and nine can be painful or siesta-inducing for parents. At least for me it is. I don't necessarily enjoy their choices in movies. I don't want to see animated monsters, hamsters who save the world, anything with the name Transformer in it, or anything with fart jokes.

Fine, call me picky.

Then one day a good friend recommended a movie to me. A sports movie. I was shocked.

I was shocked because this friend, like me, grew up with two sisters, no brothers, and is struggling to understand and cope with this species called "athletic boy."

Of course I had to watch it.

More Than A Game turned out to be one of the best movies I have ever seen with my kids. We laughed, we cheered, we bit our nails, we cried. Well, three out of the four of us cried. The nine year old was a little disappointed there were no fart jokes.


The movie is about LeBron James and his journey to basketball success through high school with his group of four close friends and his coach. There are very few female characters in the movie at all, except for LeBron talking about how important his single mother is to him. Maybe because of the lack of female characters, the movie really felt like a window into the male mind and some of the things that make it tick. It has given me more insight into how important sports can be to boys. It has created an opportunity to talk about sportsmanship, effort, and friendship with my boys.

I grew up watching Little House on the Prairie, and any other kind of tear-inducing, emotionally-wrenching movie with my mom. When these movies come out, I still want to see them with my mom and sisters.

The boy thing, it's different. Sports movies, believe it or not, can make both moms and boys happy. I have a whole new genre of movies to explore. There are several lists online for Best Sports Movies and I plan to add some to my Netflix list.

A Netflix movie has just arrived and it's not a sports movie. It's Lord of the Rings. A friend recently revoked my geek status when I admitted to never having seen it. He shamed me into bumping it to the top of my list. So now I will see if I have any fantasy/science fiction fans in the house while I earn my geek status back.

Add a comment if you have a favorite sports movie you think would appeal to moms, and why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peter Jackson FTW!