Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cosmetology School for Stage Moms

My youngest son’s show is in final rehearsals and is opening tomorrow. His costume is ready, he knows his part, he has his dance shoes. Before the final dress rehearsal, I was asked to attend one final meeting as a parent: how to put make-up on my son. Stage make-up. Never did I ever imagine I would be attending a cosmetology class for stage moms as part of my experience parenting three boys. Just goes to show you never know what life has in store for you!

Hmm, I wondered, how would it go, coming at my son with sponges and brushes and a mascara wand? Would I have to sit on him or tie him down with bungee cords?

I told him all about why he needed to wear makeup and that we needed to practice putting it on, expecting a lot of push-back from him. He just said, “OK, can we do it now?” He had been adequately prepared by the director of the show and he knew that makeup was necessary to see his facial features from the audience. His face is the only part of his body not covered by his costume.

It was fun putting make-up on him. Weird but fun. Stage make-up is very dramatic. It makes his enormous green eyes visible from at least a mile away. In fact, in stage makeup he looks a little bit like a mini, blond, Adam Lambert. Which really freaks me out. After I did his makeup the first time, I couldn’t stop staring at him. His brothers took one look at him and averted their eyes, muttering, “That’s just weird.” When my middle son started to tease him, I told him I needed more practice and would use him as my next model. And there would be photographic evidence. That shut him up.

I think my son actually likes wearing the make-up. I’m not sure if I’m happy about that or freaked out by it. I guess I feel both.

This is Adam Lambert in case you don't know what he looks like (mom). This is what the eyeliner is supposed to look like. I think.

No comments: