Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'm Not That Old!

My oldest son is thirteen today. A teenager. I am the mother of a teenager.

We are going out to dinner as a family to celebrate.

I have an uncontrollable urge to make sure I DON'T look like the mother of a teenager tonight. I want the chef who will cook our dinner at Benihana's to think, as he throws knives and slaps shrimp around the tepan grill, I want him to think DANG she is way too young to be the mother of this teenager.

In three years my son will be getting a driver's license. In ten years he will be two years past the legal drinking age.

If my dermatologist was really smart, she would start blasting clients with all kinds of youth-enhancing treatments when their children turn thirteen. Having a teenager makes you venerable to youth-enhancing promises.

Mom, I know you are going to call me when you read this and tell me that it is even weirder to have a grandchild who is a teenager. Then again maybe you didn't think it was weird until now.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Ah, wait until your YOUNGEST turns 13... :-)

Amber said...

Our Japanese chef at Benihana actually asked me how old I thought HE was!! I thought that was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

Wait till you have a child as old as my oldest - you! Thank god you don't look your age.

Mom