Saturday, October 10, 2009

Record(er) Breaking

My youngest son has just passed a milestone that has been memorable for each of my boys. He has reached the point in 4th grade when he starts playing the recorder. It's a shrill, squeaky little thing which has the huge benefit of at least keeping the mouth and fingers of the player busy while assaulting the ears of anyone within 3 miles.

Like my other two boys when they first got their instruments, my youngest is obsessed with his recorder and practices a lot. Unlike my other two, he has the few simple songs he's learned so far down pat, they actually sound good, and he is trying out playing them with feeling. This is after just a couple days of playing. He is even experimenting with trying to play Smoke on the Water on the recorder.

I think he might have a talent for the thing.

That is what I tell myself as I wake up at 6:30 am to the sound of recorder music echoing around the house. I hope he learns another song very soon or I'm going to go insane.

1 comment:

Jane LaFazio said...

hmm. try these out "My son the artist" or "My son the recorder musician."