Sunday, July 26, 2009

Boys Cubed

I am a geek at heart. As a kid, I took great pride in being able to solve the Rubik's Cube. The Rubik's Cube was introduced in 1980, when I was thirteen, just a few months older than my oldest son is now.

I've had a Rubik's Cube around the house for years, hoping someone would pick it up and play with it. When my oldest son was at camp recently, I threw it in a care package that I mailed to him. Several days later when I talked to him on the phone he told me he was working on it, and then the next time I talked to him, he was very excited to tell me he could solve it now. I secretly rejoiced: another geek!

When he came home, the Rubik's Cube hardly left his grasp and he was determined to teach my middle son how to do it too. Now, I have two children who can solve the Rubik's Cube!

I wondered, would my youngest attempt it?

He looked at me and said, "Mom, the only way I am going to do a Rubik's Cube is to move all the stickers."

OK, I get it, cool people who are not geeks find other ways to deal with solving the cube.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just purchased another cube from Amazon. I LOVED that thing as a kid! CMNM