Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Last week I received an email from my youngest son's third grade teacher. I've mentioned her before, she's fantastic. Anyhow, she was updating me on the results of a recent reading assessment she did on my son. Good news, he's reading above grade level, comprehension is good, doing great. Then about an hour later, the following email, from my husband to the teacher, appeared on my iPhone. I thought it was funny and wanted to share the male perspective:

To 3rd grade teacher in response to results of reading assessment, from my husband
Great news. You are to be commended. During the same time period you have brought him up in reading and math, my wife has almost killed him several times for his inability to find his proper clothing (baseball cup, hat, underwear), deal with person grooming, complete other simple duties around the house, etc.

Since I am a man and understand the limited capabilities of the male mind, this means that my son has directed ALL of his intelligence towards you and school – and is completely incapable of having any brain cells left to be a functioning member of our household. Again, as a male, I understand and have compassion for him. And soon, he will have brain cells for cars and girls, and then when he is older he will understand that he owes it all to his Mom. It just takes 30-40 years (or longer) for men to get it… why is that???


Interesting mother-related trivia to think about on Mother's Day:
While nearly 80 percent of Americans will buy a card for mom this year, 83 percent of the cards will be purchased by daughters.

The youngest mother on record was Lina Medina, who delivered a 6½-pound boy by cesarean section in Lima, Peru in 1939, at the age of 5 years and 7 months. She delivered on Mother's Day. Yes, it's true, check it out on Snopes here.

Think about Lina's mother. That had to be one heck of a shock.

I'm hoping for a Mother's Day that's more relaxing than shocking. And I hope my boys appreciate me just a little sooner than 30 to 40 years from now.

1 comment:

Plain Jane said...

oh gawd, your husband cracks me up! And I'm soooo excited that you and your mom will be taking my online class! how very cool is that!
xo