Thursday, May 21, 2009

Does Playboy Have An Age Limit?

My youngest son, who just turned nine, and I were alone for a bit in the car the other day. Usually we listen or sing to the radio. This time it was mostly quiet, until he broke the contemplative silence with the statement, "Mom, I heard there is going to be a 75 year old woman in Playboy."

There are just so many things wrong with this statement coming out of my son's mouth that I didn't know where to start. My mind began spinning with questions to ask in return, and things I could say, and then, even a mental image of what that would look like in Playboy. I briefly wondered if I could have all this brain activity going on and still be a safe driver.

I began with asking him, "What's wrong with that?" I know, in hind sight it seems an odd thing to say but that's what I did. His response: "Mom," said with a hint of exasperation, a whisper of warning, an intonation of fear to take the discussion any further. I repeated, "What's wrong with that?" Long silence. Then he said, "Mom, the ladies in Playboy are supposed to be pretty."

I really should have pulled over at that point because I think my jaw dropped on to my lap. The knowledge he has gleaned from third grade astounds me.

I didn't know what to say, so I told him 75 year old women could be very pretty (I didn't say that it's a good idea for them to keep their clothes on though). He said, "Yeah, I guess so. Besides, I've heard bad things about Playboy."

"Oh really, like what?"

"Naked people!"

And that was the end of our journey in the car and the conversation about Playboy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That kid cracks me up!!! Where do they come up with these things.

Linda Koplovitz said...

My son asked me for a Playboy magazine when he was nine and then again when he was 10. I kept saying, yes, you can have one, but I never purchased it for him. My one consolation was that I knew that someday he would give me grandchildren.