Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Resist the American Snack Tyranny!

Last fall I was the team mom for my youngest son's soccer team. The job description pretty much consisted of creating a snack schedule, posting it on the team site, and then sending reminders to parents to bring the snack they had already been assigned. Then when it was time for me to bring the snack I forgot.

No big deal, or so I thought. But the kids were trolling around looking for a diabetic infusion of candy, juice, or a massive cupcake right after the game and there was none to be had. They started to gather around me, demanding their fix. I got out of there before the kids started to display sugar withdrawl symptoms, whining and shaking and throwing themselves on the ground.

I hate the whole organized snack thing. The kids are out there, playing a game, getting some exercise, and then we reward them with . . . processed junk food?? This sends exactly the wrong message to kids in a nation with a massive obesity problem. I don't buy that kind of food for my kids unless I am buying it for baseball or soccer snack when it is my turn. So why do I even buy it? I'm not sure, I guess I am sucumbing to peer pressure.

Then my sister forwarded me this article titled Will Play for Food from the New York Times. My sentiments exactly!!! Another person who hates snack duty and had the guts to print it in a national newspaper!

I have to shop today for the team snack for my youngest son's Little League game tomorrow. When the game ends, we go straight home for dinner, so I'm going to bring what I'd give my son if he wanted a snack at home right before we sit down to eat. Water and carrot sticks. Maybe a piece of cheese. I'd like to answer the author's call to end the American Snack Tyranny but that would involve "forgetting" snack duty and I just can't let the other moms think I am that unorganized. I already dropped off my son for a practice yesterday that did not exist.

2 comments:

jazzdog said...

Carrots and water, maybe a little cheese? Sounds like simple perfection to me! I also succumbed to peer pressure in my own small way. For her birthday, I brought big, plump, gorgeous strawberries...dipped in chocolate. (Wimp!) I still had one little boy politely tell me that he just didn't eat strawberries. More for me, I told him with a smile:-)

Amber said...

I had two comments from the boys. One was "WHAT? What kind of snack is this?" and the other was "Wow so who's the health nut?" Obviously kids are taught early on, during their T-ball year, that baseball=junk food. I had lots of carrots left over. More for me : )