Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Snack??

A few days ago I took my boys shopping with me at Costco. To maximize the chances of a fun positive experience, I got them a snack from the food area before we went in, and I told them we were only there to buy food, not any extras this time.

We did have a pleasant time, cruising the isles efficiently, stopping for samples when available, discussing the pros and cons of sliced or unsliced packages of cheese. I reminded my oldest son to be on the lookout for things he might like to have as after-school snacks, which are usually like a meal at our house.

Walking through the frozen isle, he announced that he found it. "Mom, a perfect snack! Cornish game hens!" I saw the heads of several customers turn curiously in the direction of my three blond boys in school uniforms peering through the glass doors at the little frozen hens. "No Cornish game hens as a snack until you are a teenager" I told him. There were a few chuckles.

I am not chuckling. When I told a friend about this, she suggested I could have a spit in the back yard and cook the hens on it for snack every day. Yeah, this is funny, but also probably not a bad idea. I could cook all kinds of things on a spit back there. "Mom, what's for snack today?" "I don't know, go check what's cooking on the spit today. Oh, that's right, I'm cooking a side of beef. Go carve some off but save enough for dinner!"

No comments: