Thursday, July 10, 2008

Still Here!

No, I have not moved away to a country with no cell phones or baseball teams.

I thought about it though. I listened to a podcast today from NPR about a woman who lives six months of the year in a fire tower in central California, in a small space in the middle of the forest. A helicopter brings her supplies and cleans out the porta-potty once in a while. She watches for fires and really has no other responsibilities. I had a fleeting fantasy about taking a job like this for a year. Oh wait, I don' think she has a shower. I need at least one shower a day to feel human, so forget that idea.

Much has happened in the last month or so since I have posted a blog entry. The school year is over, the baseball season is over, the All-Star baseball teams are finished, and summer has officially started for me and my family. Last Sunday, we started our summer much later than usual by making our move to the beach, getting away from it all and trying to remember what it is like to have time to sleep in, lay on the couch and read a book, relax on the beach, and not get in a car for an entire day or two.

I feel like I have had to go on a baseball detox program. Just so there is no misunderstanding, I actually enjoy the game of baseball. What I had a hard time with was the business and inflexibility of the schedule of practices and games. It took over not just my boys time, but all of my time as well. Between organizing equipment, uniforms, trying to feed everyone despite being at games or practice during meal times, the constant driving kids to and fro, and having to stick to a strict schedule during the day to make sure everyone is where they need to be, I was completely burnt out. I didn't have time for myself, I didn't have the energy to write although I certainly had plenty of material, I didn't have time to cook, I didn't see my friends or family unless they came to a baseball game. All this and the mandatory working in the snack shack serving junk food to all the baseball players just about put me over the edge. My family has consumed so many cheeseburgers and hot dogs from the various snack shacks in the last few months that we might all need to go on Lipitor.

I am recovering though. We are all getting in the groove of slower days, which I am relishing. We are eating better. And I am becoming a less stressed and much nicer person.

Is it possible to have three boys playing in Little League and not go nuts? It must be, I see other moms doing it. There is one mom I know that makes me feel like I just don't have my game together. She has three boys, all playing Little League AND competitive soccer at the same time, she comes to every game with a huge supply of snacks and anything her kids (or mine) ask for, she pulls out of her bag. She scorekeeps for games, is the team mom, organizes pizza after the games, volunteers for extra duty in the snack shack, AND always looks nice and always has her nails freshly manicured. The bitch. I don't know how she can do it all. What is her secret?? I better figure this out before next season.

No comments: