Thursday, January 10, 2008

Milk & Wisdom

I had to make the ol' milk run tonight. You know, go to the store late at night so there is milk for cereal in the morning.

The grocery store late at night is entirely different than it is during the day. This store had many people busily stocking shelves, cardboard boxes everywhere, but it was very quiet . . . they were all wearing earphones, listening to something, each in their own private world.

No wonder the checker was dying to talk to someone. I was buying one gallon of milk, but he was friendly and there was no one else in line. We chatted for a few moments and he told me he had two jobs, didn't get much sleep, has two kids, and is the luckiest man around. I looked at him curiously and he said, "I finally grew up. You know, growing up is when you do the right thing, even when no one is watching."

Milk and wisdom in one short visit to Safeway late at night. The wonders of modern convenience never cease to amaze me.

1 comment:

chigiy at Gardeners Anonymous said...

I love that line.
I'm going to teach it to my boys.
BTW we call the Safeway in town, Safeway of the Damned.