Monday, January 7, 2008

It's Alarming

School has started back after winter break. We all had to rely on our alarm clocks to get out of bed this morning. It's cloudy, it's cold, it's dark, it's Monday. Hit the snooze and roll back over.

All my boys have their own alarm clocks which have several options for alarms. One of the options, which I thought sounded great but no one uses, are various nature noises.

My oldest has his set on the classic alarm beep. Why? He says it is simple and it wakes him up. It doesn't make him want to go back to sleep like music and doesn't freak him out like the sounds of the rainforest.

My middle son has his alarm clock set to sports-talk radio. Why? Well duh, you can never get enough sports!

My youngest has music, the local top 40 station. Why? Because he loves music. And a good song or a bad song (or overplayed song) can determine how his morning goes.

My husband sets his alarm but never hears it because he always wakes up before the alarm actually sounds, and turns it off. Why? I don't know, and it's a little spooky.

My alarm is set to news-talk radio. I slowly rise into consciousness with the sounds of familiar voices telling me about traffic accidents and slow-downs on various freeways, none of which I have to drive on (but I used to), which makes me very happy to be cozy in my bed. I listen to the weather, and I note which reporter seems to have a cold. Sometimes I hit the snooze. Sometimes I hit it again. I like to wake up slowly. Then I usually get at least one boy hug, someone coming in to check on me and make sure I'm awake. That's really the best way to wake up.

It used to be that I woke up and then and made sure my boys were awake. But since I am not so much a morning person, and each person likes to wake up in their own way, it really is much better to have all the alarm clocks. It makes for an interesting cacophony in the hallway. And alarm clocks are never grumpy, even on Mondays.

1 comment:

chigiy at Gardeners Anonymous said...

I'm like hubby.
I set my alarm.
I wake up before it and I turn it off.
I've done it all my life.