Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Advice Nugget

We moms (and dads) get plenty of advice from various different sources every day on how to do our jobs. Sometimes I think it is easier to block out all advice than to filter through it and pick out the gold nuggets. But darn it, those nuggets are really worth finding, some of them are quite valuable.

I recently went to a parent education night at my boys' school and came away with this nugget:

A mom's most important job is to make sure her face lights up when she greets her child. A dad's most important job is to love his children's mother. And his next most important job is to remember that she is not HIS mother.

It doesn't solve all the world's problems, but this quote had me remembering to make sure I give each of my boys one heck of a big genuine smile at least once a day. This is not as easy as it sounds, especially when they are talking back to you and rolling their eyes and grabbing your cell phone to change the ring tone on you.

No comments: