Sunday, August 19, 2007

For the first time in five years, I am traveling without my children. No pictures for a while since I am traveling. I’m not saying I won’t have anything to photograph. I just don’t quite have the technology to post photos from the road. I will be biking along in France touring castles and wine tasting.

Leaving my children to go on a trip with my husband is a bittersweet operation. It is hard enough, both logistically and emotionally, that we don’t go away without them very often. But I also know that it is very important for us to have the time together as a couple, leaving behind our roles as parents and remembering why we like each other so much and why we got married 15 years ago. So we prevailed on grandparents to take care of them for part of the time, and we’re putting them in “the kennel” for the rest. Yes, the three of them are going to experience resident summer camp for the first time. They are going to have an adventure, and so are we!

I know from past experience that this kind of a complete get away for both my husband and myself somehow restores us and allows us to attack our various roles as parents with a renewed gusto when we get home. I think the boys will each feel a sense of accomplishment and independence after spending a week at camp.

How to blog about kids when I won’t be with them for the next week? I’m not sure. Maybe observe French boys and their activities? Cultural differences between American and French youth? Who knows, maybe I’ll be lucky enough to observe a French family eating out and instructing their boys on table manners?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage! Can't wait to hear about your vacations- both from you and Dan and the boys.
Nicole

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine who happens to be severely diabetic tells me that when our blood sugar gets low, we become humorous. Today, at lunch, one of the major women in my life were speaking about the French. I thought what I said was humorous. Your mother thought it was cynical. I had to rush home and check my blood sugar to see who was right. So, I won't comment further. Guess who.